I decided to move my 32″ Dell to the shop since lately I use that workstation a lot more than the home workshop. The old monitor was a 27″ Samsung but using Fusion360 I have gotten spoiled and wanted to max out the space on the cubes desk.
The new monitor does not sit as high on its stand as the old one and did not clear the speakers. I went to my favorite material supply place to get some stock to make a riser.
The scrap barrel at the makerspace is always a fertile source of …well scrap. I found a few feet of ½” pine board and ripped it down to 1¼” width. I also found a piece of thin plywood for the top. The riser will be the same size as the base ring on the Dell. Im not going to detail the construction as it is just 3 pieces of pine attached around 3 sides of the ply. I used screws because I did not want to wait for glue to dry.
I like the area under the monitor being usable space the old monitor had a solid plastic cone. This would be a good spot to put things that I need to remember when I leave for the day, cell phone, USB sticks, keys etc… I try and take care of my (broken anyway) phone as much as possible so I made an insert for the area out of foam core board and some green felt.
The minute I put the insert in I remembered that my phone lives on a wireless charging puck to minimize wear and tear on the USB port. All the soft felt was for nothing. What if I build a wireless charger into the insert? I have the materials to do it so why not!
I have had the idea to make a portable QI charger for awhile so I have one to spare even if I break it somehow. The case is not snapped together as I found, it has small screws hidden under the rubber surface ring. The entire inside assembly is one piece. A new piece of foam core with the outline of the charging coil board cut out will be the start of insert 2.0.
Since this is going to sit on the top of the riser very little needs to be done to secure it in place. A layer of gaffers tape on the “up” side of the foam core will provide a way to stick the coil in place.
A few strips of 1″ gaffers tape further secure it and affix the cable in place. At his point we are ready to cover the board with felt. A trip to the sewing center of the makerspace to cut a suitable piece of felt is next.
The felt is stuck to the face with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Since only the face of this will be visible I was not very careful with my edges or corners, proceed with yours as you see fit. I used a layer of gaffers tape on the back not to help attach the felt but to cover the adhesive overspray stickyness.
That is it for the insert, now to prep the riser to accommodate the wires it did not have before.
I used a hole saw to drill through the top then covered every thing except a USB plug sized area. A trip to the table saw to nibble a notch in the back and we are ready for paint. Note that I am not being fussy with anything that is not seen. I will also only paint the parts that are visible when its in use. Flat black is always a good choice.
I like the result and it works great. I may make a foam core drawer for under the riser, if I do I will post that below…